Before You Break the Law!
Throwing hazardous waste in the trash is ILLEGAL.
The City of San Rafael and the Marin County Hazardous & Solid Waste JPA sponsor the Marin Household Hazardous Waste Facility (HHW). Marin Resource Recycling & Resource Recovery Association works in partnership with these agencies to provide households and Businesses who are Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity HHW generators in Marin County (except Novato) with safe and hazardous waste disposal.
Household Hazardous Waste Information is available 24 hours a day by calling 415-485-6806
Residential Drop-off (For all Marin County households except Novato). Please bring proof of residency such as a driver's license, tax documents or utility bill.)
We CAN NOT accept: Explosives, Ammunition, Lab chemicals, Radioactive waste, Biohazard waste, Infectious waste, Medical wastes (SHARPS containers are accepted), Compressed
gasses in hard shell compressed gas cylinders.
HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL INSTRUCTIONS
1. A resident of the Marin County household that generated the waste must accompany the waste material that is dropped off (excluding Novato residents). Proof of the residency is required in the form of a driver's license, tax bill, or utility bill that shows the street address.
2. Materials must be packaged in sturdy, non-leaking containers no larger than 5 gallons or 50 pounds in size.
3. Do not mix different wastes together.
4. Please be sure to place containers in boxes lined with newspaper or other materials to minimize the chances of spills.
5. Make sure all containers are labeled as to their contents.
6. State of California regulations limits the amount of HHW transported at one time to 15 gallons liquid or combined liquid/dry weight of 125 lbs. (liquid weighs 8.5 lbs. per gallon).
7. The exception is latex paint and motor oil, which can be a total of 20 gallons combined.
8. There may be other volume and weight limitations for certain items like paints and motor oil. Please call if you have questions about the waste you plan to bring in.
CESQG: An Affordable Alternative for Businesses
The Marin Household Hazardous Waste Facility offers businesses an affordable alternative for hazardous waste disposal. An appointment and prior registration is required.
For more information and to inquire about registration call 415-485-6806-option 4.
The most common businesses in this group are painters, printers, artists, builders, labs, property managers, vehicle repair and body shops, garden contractors, pest control companies, and photofinishing shops.
A CESQG will generate per month:
Less than 220 lbs. (approximately 25 gallons of liquid) of most hazardous chemicals
Less than 2.2 lbs. (approximately one quart of liquid) of certain original unused products (i.e., acutely hazardous wastes)
Less then 110 lbs. (approximately 13 gallons of liquid) of perchloroethylene